How to choose paint colors for your home?
If you are wondering how to choose paint colors for your home, you are at the right place to get the answer. The easiest way to choose paint colors is to start with the colors you love. When you choose the colors you love, you are not bound by the traditional color schemes for a particular decorating style. Using your favorite color as your base color, you can create a color scheme around it. Read on to get some ideas about how to choose interior and exterior paint colors for your house.
Paint colors for your home exterior
The number one paint question here at James Kate Construction we have received over the years is about choosing exterior paint colors because it is one of the most difficult decisions you can make for your home. Here are a few steps that can help you avoid the common mistakes and enable you to make paint color decisions that will be beautiful!
- Start with the shade; decide if you want a light or white color, a mid-tone or medium shade or do you want a dark color?
- Compare and consider the color of your roof and exterior accents with the shade you like.
- Don’t forget to factor in the impact light can have on the exterior paint colors.
- While choosing trim and accent colors, less is more! Too much contrast and change of color/shades will have the opposite effect and the architectural details will no longer stand out.
Choosing interior paint colors
Our experienced and highly skilled painters in Mansfield, TX are often asked how to choose paint colors for your home interior? In the modern day open-plan homes where kitchens, dining rooms and living rooms are often one large space; color is used to help define interiors and create focal points in relatively featureless rooms. The trick of course, is figuring how to choose the right paint color for your kitchen and how to choose a paint color for living room.
- Create a color scheme that matches your home’s furniture selecting three colors from an existing object in your home.
- Decide on the finish to create an appealing visual effect, you can paint one wall in a flat or satin finish and the adjacent wall in a semi-gloss, both in the same color.
- Choose a color based on how a room is used and the mood you want to establish.
- Use different colors to “zone” a big open space, separating the dining area from the living room for instance.
- The best way to use color to transform the interior of your home is to play up its architectural features. Molding, mantels, arched doorways, wainscot, built-in bookcases, windows and doors of your home offer an opportunity to add a layer of interest to colored walls.
Need color consultation?
If you still have question and don’t know how to choose paint colors for your home, schedule a color consultation with our highly skilled and experienced interior designer in Mansfield. Schedule your appointment now!